- This event has passed.
Let’s Explore – Upcycled Collage and Stitch Books
March 19 2023 @ 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM
Come and join us for a day of exploring and playing with collage and stitch!
We’ve been inspired by Danish textile and mixed media artist Lisbeth Degn and her delightful little stitch books. Lisbeth’s stitch books are built upon recycled children’s books (small books, no larger than 10x10cm), collaged with Lisbeth’s own mono/gelli printed papers and filled with some of her favourite hand stitches.
Join in the fun of working on a little stitch book like this one Lisbeth Degn has made. If you came to our January Explore Day, you could use some of your gelli-printed papers for backgrounds (or bring along other painted or printed papers in your stash that you’d like to use up).
While we’re on the theme of books….perhaps you have some favourite books about stitch you’ve discovered in an op shop? Perhaps you’ve made little stitch books yourself? Bring them along to share!
Feel free to work on your own projects if you prefer.
More inspiration from Lisbeth Degn
- A little stitch book (10×10 cm) based on an old children’s book. Gelli prints on a collaged background. An experiment to see how much variation you can get out of just a running stitch or a seed stitch.
- Another little stitch book (10x10cm old children’s book). Collaged with mono printed papers and filled with some of Lisbeth’s favourite stitches.
And you can view Lisbeth Degn’s other YouTube videos as well for loads of inspiration!
What to bring
- a small children’s book from an op shop (a book that has “seen better days” but is still structurally sound is perfect)
- some mono-printed or painted papers
- your favourite collage glue and a brush (alternatively a glue stick)
- all the usual sewing gear, scissors, needles, threads etc
- your lunch (or cash to purchase lunch nearby), tea and/or coffee and a mug
Any financial Stitching and Beyond member who is also a member of the KWC ($20 until June 30, then $40pa) is welcome to join our Sundays at no extra cost. Check here for details on how to join the KWC.