- This event has passed.
Develop – Masterclass with Glenys Mann
July 27 2022 @ 10:00 AM - July 31 2022 @ 4:00 PM$450.00
DEVELOP….(the shorter Oxford English Dictionary. 1933 edition)
To unfold, unroll; to unfurl…1868
To flatten out (a curved surface); to change the form of (a surface) by bending…1879
To unveil; to unfold; to disclose…1837
To unfold more fully, bring out all that is contained in…1750
To open gradually… 1883
To change the form or expression without changing the value… 1871
To bring forth from a latent or elementary condition… 1813
To bring out and render visible (the latent image produced by actinic action upon a sensitive surface); to apply to the treatment by which this is affected.
If any of the above reads as to where your art practice and you need to be, then you need to experience this unique masterclass workshop. No techniques, just a huge amount of encouragement and expertise will be given to develop and push what you already have in your soul.
Extend yourself to take your art beyond where you thought you could go. Any artistic medium will be accepted in this workshop.
We will be performing small exercises everyday to get the juices flowing. These requirements are just for that… NOT to ‘develop’ new work, but to ‘develop’ new ways of thinking and working with what you already have.
What you need to bring
- Research and bring along information (to be presented to the group) about an artist who works in relation to the environment or place in some way that interests you. Their work may be sculptural, installation based, textiles, etc. etc. Bring some images of their work if possible.
- Bring a text for reading out aloud, 10 – 15 minutes long. This is completely open in terms of form and content. It might be fiction, poetry, recipe , history, newspaper article, textbook, letter, etc. choose something that you are interested in, fascinated by, curious about, or love to read!
- Please read … Claire Hunter’s book Threads of Life.
- Small collection of your works so that we can analyse what you are doing and where you are going.
- Small collection of hand made papers and paper of different weights including artists water colour paper, coloured/patterned/magazine pages/text/etc
- A selection of cloth, varying weights, some recycled, some that have a ‘memory’, mainly neutral preferred.
- Sewing kit including a variety of threads, normal sewing and thicker embroidery threads, yarn.
- Hand sewing needles of all sizes, include darners.
- Paper and cloth scissors
- Paper glue (PVA) and glue stick
- Unlined A5 book for daily journal
- Any other drawing materials
- Rotary cutter with old blade for cutting paper
- Cutting board
For more information, download the DEVELOP More requirements list.
Note: Day 3 (Friday 29 July) is a half day only.
If you are not currently a financial member of Stitching and Beyond, you can join us, pay the membership fee and then login to purchase your ticket.
Workshop bookings are subject to our refund policy