Eco Print on Leather with Lindy Whitton
November 12 2022 @ 9:30 AM - 4:30 PM$115.00
Eco Print on Leather – Natural, Crisp and Beautiful
This workshop will cover all you need to know to create natural, crisp and beautiful botanic prints on leather. Topics covered include:
- types of leather and which to use
- how to mordant leather, recipes
- which leaves print best
- using natural dye blankets
- using iron blankets
- how to bundle
- steam or simmer?
- drying the leather
- conditioning the leather – which products to use
- uses for printed leather
The day will be a mix of discussion and hands on printing. You will make some tester samples to explore leaves and dye blankets and then move on to make one or two larger prints.
At the end of the day you will take home the full kangaroo hide printed in several sections and be able to use it for projects such as shoe making, bookbinding , purse, wallet, clutch etc.
Materials supplied by Lindy (a materials fee of $35 is included in the workshop price)
- A full kangaroo leather hide per person ( approx. 5 square feet)
- Mordant buckets and mordant chemicals
- Natural Dyes and dye blankets
- Tubes for bundling
- Vessels for steaming/simmering
- Various leaves
You will need to bring
- Selection of fresh or dried leaves/flowers – good printers are maple, rose, cotinus and sycamore leaves, and for flowers, coreopsis dahlias, cosmos, chrysanthimum and gerbera
- Sheet of recycled plastic to use when bundling the leaves and leather( please, no cling wrap). You could use a recycled dry cleaning bag, recyclable garbage bin liner, large plastic bag etc. It should be at least 40 cm wide and 1.2 m long but you can combine sections to make this.
- Drying board and some push pins. Used for drying the wet leather and can be anything that you can push the pins into eg chipboard, coreflute etc. Approx. 40x60cm should be fine.
- Elastic bandage or 2 inch wide strips of stretch cotton. A T shirt cut into strips works well.
- Notepad and pen
- Old towel or similar to mop up any spills and keep your work area clean and dry
- Your lunch and snacks (the local Mount Nelson Store has good coffee and options for lunch if you wish to purchase)
If you are not currently a financial member of Stitching and Beyond, you can join us, pay the small membership fee and then login to purchase your ticket.
Workshop bookings are subject to our refund policy.