- This event has passed.
Cyanotype Printing – wet and layered methods
November 21 2021 @ 9:30 AM - 4:30 PM$85.00
Cyanotype is a photographic printing process that produces a cyan-blue print. Engineers used the process well into the 20th century as a simple and low-cost process to produce copies of drawings, referred to as blueprints. The process uses two chemicals: ferric ammonium and potassium ferricyanide. The chemicals react with UV light – a sunny day is great but a cloudy day is good too!
Local artist, Margaret Jones, will guide you through experimentation with the wet process to produce single images and a layered method that adds dimension and interest. The images of Margaret’s work show results that can be achieved using botanicals.
Materials you need to bring
- Apron, gloves, old towel, papers to print on – fine delicate papers will fall apart, so look for something a little robust that can handle multiple immersions in water.
- At least 2 backing boards of some kind – bigger than your paper. The backing boards can be anything that retain their rigidity – perspex, hard plastic, plywood etc.
- 3 sheets of glass/perspex the same size as your backing boards – tape edges for safety. You could buy three old and similar sized frames at an op-shop that will give you the glass and boards.
- Broad brush to spread the chemical.
- At least 8 large bulldog clips. You can purchase these cheaply at stores such as Shiploads.
- Your own botanicals, stencils or other items to create an image. Doilies and lace are great.
- Please wear old clothes and bring your own lunch, mug, and tea and coffee makings.
Margaret will supply the following
- Water baths, chemical baths
- Cling wrap, turmeric, salt (fine and crystal), vinegar spray and bubbles
- Hair dryers
- Comprehensive notes for dry, wet and layered processes.
Tickets on sale Thursday 21 October 2021. If you are not currently a financial member of Stitching and Beyond, you can join us, pay the small membership fee and then login to purchase your ticket.
Workshop bookings are subject to our refund policy.