- This event has passed.
Additional Workshop: Paper as Textile with Anzara Clark
February 13 2023 @ 10:00 AM - February 14 2023 @ 4:00 PM$180.00
Due to popular demand we have scheduled a second workshop.
Book now for this very popular event!
Currently based in Ballarat, Anzara Clark is an award winning, multi-disciplinary artist whose work explores various types of textiles, paper, and recycled material manipulations, overlaid with textile process interventions and integrated printmaking techniques. Her work is tactile, textural, dimensional, and narrative, seeking a poetic aesthetic in the creative process and in the objects she makes. Initially working in textiles, awards for her paper wearable art led her to develop a fascination with paper as a textile and embark on an immersive and ongoing journey into the creative possibilities of paper. Explorations of contemporary and traditional paper knowledge and endless curiosity underpin her ongoing creative experimentation with paper, seeking innovative ways of using this age-old material.
Paper as Textile: Techniques and approaches for paper sculptural and garment forms, dimensional paper objects and paper wearable art
In this 2-day workshop we will consider different approaches and technique responses to the challenges involved in working with paper as a textile. We will explore foundation skills and a range of paper manipulation processes that will allow your creative inspiration to take flight, knowing that your paper artworks will stand up to creative extensions and experimentation, as well as stresses of installation, exhibition and competition formats.
We will learn to incorporate experimentation and engineering interventions into construction approaches and build a knowledge base that will encompass traditional and contemporary processes, enhance creative options and honour the amazing material that is paper.
Specifically, we will learn to:
- Harness the tensions and challenges in the material nature of paper;
- Increase durability of paper materials;
- Enhance the strength of papers without compromising flexibility and softness;
- Embed durability into construction processes;
- Understand weight bearing stressors and how to counteract weight impacts in specific regions of an artwork;
- Create light-weight form support for artwork components requiring specific shapes;
- Understand how to select and strengthen suspension points and other point load sites in an artwork to ensure that it is prepared for exhibition and installation requirements.
The workshop is suitable for anyone interested in using paper more innovatively in their current creative practice or branching out into new creative paper adventures, whether that be dimensional paper forms, soft paper sculpture, paper garment forms or paper wearable art.
Inspiration from Azara
- A list of requirements will be emailed to participants prior to the workshop.
- Workshop bookings are subject to our refund policy.
If you are not currently a financial member of Stitching and Beyond, you can join us, pay the membership fee and then login to purchase your ticket.